Thursday 11 September 2008

Kircher's Magnetism





Images from Kircher's Magnetism via the amazing Bibliodyssey, the last being a remarkable machine, a sunflower clock: '"To illustrate his belief in the magnetic relationship between the sun and the vegetable kingdom, Kircher designed this heliotropic sunflower clock by attaching a sunflower to a cork and floating it in a reservoir of water. As the blossom rotated to face the sun, a pointer through its center indicated the time on the inner side of a suspended ring. Kircher claimed that it didn't work well because enclosing it in a glass case would block the sun's attractive force, and that it was 'therefore susceptible to inaccuracies due to the wind'."
I especially like the ideas, and the esotericism of the imagery: I love the pattern of the magnetic fields, and the hint of magic.... But I still can't get my head round how to bring these things into my book without distracting from the photography.