Friday 20 June 2008

Stonehenge Solstice

Off to Stonehenge tomorrow to photograph the solstice. Weather forecast- rain, surprisingly enough. According to recent news stories the circle was perhaps primarily a burial site, as opposed to some kind of giant sundial. Yet its ambiguity and the lack of written evidence informs our fascination, it is a place that we may now occupy according to our spiritual need. Trying to plan I attempt to research/imagine the scene. Lots of New Agers as far as I can glean- I'll be expecting many dreadlocks and also some messy local teenagers who've sampled mdma for the first time. But also that the light will do something surprising during this period of time, or at least there is the chance which is the nature of natural light. I am researching for existing ceremonies that reflect our ancient worship of the sun, but in England there are not really many which are not new constructs. This might be a result of general climate conditions here- shit, drizzle, summer over- we are hardly likely to have developed a solar culture as in ancient Egypt, but perhaps our assumptions of history may be wrong. Or else I need to do more research. Can make my mind up about this during the 24 hours without sleep I've got coming.