Wednesday 10 September 2008

The English Sunrise



Very potentially excited about this book, hopefully winging its way to me. 'The English Sunrise' won a Gold D&AD Award for graphic design in 1973. Photos by Tony Evans, written by Brian Rice, design David Hillman. The book seems to be a document of the sunrise motif in English vernacular design, and from what I can gather is quite minimal in its layout. It is still such a modern idea- I've mulled around on some variations of it myself-and I think that the execution of both the design and photography might reflect that.... the second image is taken from some one's site who has cut the book up and is selling it with some nice quote about sunrises stuck on the back of it, apparently you're meant to string these cards up 'like gems' as a form of home decoration- travesty!!! Well I suppose it's enjoying a book in a way...